Superintendent Governance Standards
As a corollary to the CSBA Professional Governance Standards, a team of California superintendents including the ACSA Superintendents Committee and the CSBA Superintendents Advisory Council has developed a set of Superintendent Governance Standards. We highly recommend that these be included as part of the Professional Governance Standards adoption.
• Promotes the success of all students and supports the efforts of the Board of Trustees to keep the district focused on learning and achievement.
• Values, advocates and supports public education and all stakeholders.
• Recognizes and respects the differences of perspective and style on the Board
and among staff, students, parents and the community—and ensures that the
diverse range of views inform board decisions.
• Acts with dignity, treats everyone with civility and respect, and understands the
implications of demeanor and behavior.
• Serves as a model for the value of lifelong learning and supports the Board’s
continuous professional development.
• Works with the Board as a “governance team” and assures collective
responsibility for building a unity of purpose, communicating a common vision
and creating a positive organizational culture.
• Recognizes that the board/superintendent governance relationship is supported
by the management team in each district.
• Understands the distinctions between board and staff roles, and respects the role
of the Board as the representative of the community.
• Understands that authority rests with the Board as a whole; provides guidance
to the Board to assist in decision-making; and provides leadership based on the
direction of the Board as a whole.
• Communicates openly with trust and integrity including providing all members
of the Board with equal access to information, and recognizing the importance
of both responsive and anticipatory communications.
• Accepts leadership responsibility and accountability for implementing the
vision, goals and policies of the district.